Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Putting up Logs

This post is a work in progress.................

The following shows the progress over 4 days of hard labor, a day of rain and then days of blessed sun.

This stack of logs were set up on the floor with a Bobcat and moved around by hand by David (my Brother) and I several days before we started putting them in place. This allowed us to get a couple of rounds in place without renting the expensive equipment I would have to rent the next day.





The morning of August 6th. Lots of rain. I had made this tent the day before but it came down at the edge of the floor. For us to work on the walls we had to hoist up the tarps along the sides. This was our creation. It worked while the rain came down. It was slow going that first day getting the first logs in just the right place. And then I had to run to town to get a different kind of sill seal. The foam type I had bought was not compressing enough. So I got some made of fiberglass.

The end of day 1


The late morning of day 2. On this morning I was up at 6 am to go to town and pick up a zoom boom, a fork lift with an extendable boom. As I was driving to the property, about a 7 mile drive from the rental place, I got a call from Wendy Shiffler that he would be headed my way to help out. What a blessing. It was going to be just David and I that day. With Wendy and his wife Judy's help we went from 2 rounds up to 6 rounds up. Thanks so much Shifflers, for the help and the food!!!

End of Day 2

Start of Day 3

The Zoom Boom in action. This job could not have been done without it. A gin pole could have been used but it would have taken much more time to use it. With the end of summer soon upon us this was the best option. Log tongs were used to grab onto the log. The tongs have needle points, so it is very hard to balance the log perfectly. Using only one tong allowed us to rotate the log easily when placing it.


Moving a log.

Lowering log into place.


While I got the logs ready (squared off seam ends, routered the chamfer, and determined exactly where the log would be placed, David and Wendy would put down the sill seal, have me put the logs in place with the zoom boom and fasten the logs in place with log screws.

End of Day 3

End of Day 3

Looking South

East. Door going to future covered porch. Kitchen window over future sink.


North. Main door coming from a future Arctic entry way.

West. To the left will be the ladder/stairs to the 2nd floor. A wood stove will be located against this wall or in the foreground. A small oil stove (back-up heat) will be against this wall.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's cool how the logs are flat on the inside - is that furred out - ??? Looks GREAT!