Thursday, July 12, 2007

Putting in the Floor and some logging

The following work took place over the last week of June thru the first week of July. Now I am ready for the logs to arrive. That should be the middle to end of July.

Foundation logs from David's property and milled on his bandsaw sawmill. Very heavy green logs!!


Wood I-beams going in.


All in and mostly square.


12 inches of insulation.


3/4 inch flooring on and first coat of paint on. Paint was salvaged from the transfer station! The shape is just from running out of one color and going to the next. When I looked at it later I thought I should have gone for a Ying Yang design! Next coat will be all white, again free from the transfer station. The paint is just to protect the floor from water during the log stacking process. In the end the floor will be covered with carpet or something else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some photos of hauling logs on July 5th from David and Sarah's land out on Chena Hotsprings Road. I cut down 5 trees, 4 to serve as floor joists for the second floor of my cabin and one for a ridge pole.


Tony, David's oldest (12), backing up the log hauler (built by David). The log tongs grab the log and you use the winch to lift that end up off the ground, allowing a pretty small machine to pull logs that weigh in excess of 500 lbs.


A surly pre-teenager



Floor joist logs being peeled so they can start drying a bit before I use them later this summer

No comments: