Thursday, July 12, 2007

New Job training in Seward

June 4-15 I drove to Seward to spend 2 weeks training for my new job. The first week was rainy, typical for this coastal town. My first weekend and the following week was sunny, but windy so it didn't warm up much. By the end I was missing the warm Interior weather, but you can't beat the scenery in Seward.



View of Seward from Mt. Marathon.




Panoramic from the top of Mt. Marathon



Mt. Marathon from the parking lot of my hostel. You can see a trail going up. I took a less steep path on the way up that went to the right thru the forest and then left along the whole ridgeline you can see, going from right to left. When I came down, I took the steep path. Every July 4th, there is a race up the mountain (the steep path) and down again. It is 1.5 miles up (about 3000 feet) and the same down. This year was the 80th year of the race. The winning men's time was 46 minutes and the women's time was 52 minutes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Marathon_Race


View of Mtns across the bay from Seward



Exit Glacier about 8 miles from Seward


Grooves in the bedrock next to Exit Glacier carved by the ice. Very cool.

No comments: