Friday, September 14, 2007

Last photos before Bering Sea trip

These are the latest photos as of Sept. 14th. I am flying to Dutch Harbor, Alaska tomorrow. I am headed out on a NOAA ship, the Miller Freeman, into the Bering Sea. We will head from Dutch Harbor and go towards St. Matthew Island and head north of there a ways as well, somewhere between St. Matthew and St. Lawrence Is. I'll be out for 2 weeks.




View from south side upstairs window.


Morning of Sept. 13


View from driveway. The birch are at peak color right now. Really beautiful. The hills around my place are completely yellow.


The wood stove arrived on the 13th so I hooked it up today, the 14th and fired it up! It is a Blaze King, Princess model. It will burn for 12-14 hours with spruce. It'll be nice to load it up at nite and still have coals in the morning and then coals again at the end of the day. This view is from the SW corner of the cabin, looking at the kitchen area. I have my cook stove plumbed for LP so it is ready to use when I get back from the Bering Sea.


Looking from the front door.




Upstairs in nearly completely insulated except for a couple of small spots. I ran out of insulation and have not taken the time to finish it. I had more pressing concerns, like getting the from door installed so I could lock the place up while I am gone. The windows for the gable ends did not come in in time so I'll put those in when I get back. The porch door will be put in in October as well. For now a sheet of plywood serves to keep the squirrels out!


Door is in!! The black plastic makes it look like it has an eye patch. Very happy to be where I am with the place. When I get back it should only take me a day or two to roughly move in so I can start sleeping here in a heated space. My camper has a heater but the thing is so poorly insulated it is a real waste of fuel to think of sleeping there anymore, unless we have warm temps when I get back, which is unlikely.
There is no electricity at the cabin site yet. I have a coleman latern that will suffice until David and I can get power to the place, stringing a temporary line from the airplane site. With a wood burning stove that burns forever and a propane cook stove to cook with, I am set!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely gambrel style house! Wood heat - lovely! :) I had a lovely house on the Chena River - it's still there - loved it lots!