Friday, September 14, 2007

More Building photos


Putting up trusses. I built them and David and I put them up in a day with some help from a friend from Pogo Gold Mine, Mike Hayes.


Salvaged roof tin. A company here in Fairbanks that sells new steel roofing material salvaged this stuff. It is galvanized and like new after being on a roof for 40 years. I have forgotten to ask what building they came from. So I had to cut this stuff with a skil saw and old blades. It went well but took about two hours to cut the pieces for the top two sides then another 2 hours for the 2 steep sides and then again for the little "wings". There were holes every 4 feet and I was able to use those holes to fasten the steel down. It all worked very well and looks very cool. This steel is the wavy corrogated style that is difficult to find.


Trusses up, August 31



After the trusses were up I was able to sheet half of one of the top sides.



Absolutely beautiful days to put on the roof. It took me about 3 days to completely finish the roof. Every day was sunny and mid-60's, low 70s. Sept. 1-4



The stove pipe went in during the roofing process.



End of day, Sept. 4th


I had to go work for a few days, so this is at the end of the day on Sept. 8th.



I really like how the roof lines turned out, especially on the West side, this side. On the east side I kept the "wings" short so my porch roof could start as high as possible so that the lower end of the pitch can be at least 8 feet above the floor of the porch, allowing as much of a view as possible from my kitchen window and porch door window.



Framed gable end. Sept. 9th



Sheeted gable ends, Sept. 10th. South end. The windows are in on the first floor.



Insulating upstairs, Sept. 10.



View from upstairs north window.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan,
We missed your call bec. we were at Quartz closing up for the season before we head out for our three week roadtrip. Will check in with you on our return Oct. 14. Your blog photos are grand as is your home...HOME!!! Wow!! The roof is simply wonderful. Look forward to seeing how you use the stove location. An interesting choice of location and I am sure it will be wonderful, but do not have it pictured yet.

Have a great time on the ship and stay warm and safe.
Many hugs and love,
Judy (Wendy too!)